Friday 3 July 2009

The Great Escape

So, some of you may remember my post a few days ago, about the little prisons we confine ourselves into, each for different reasons... For the last couple of weeks, I have been engulfed in thinking about boundaries we trap ourselves into, little everyday habits that soon turn to routine, and imprisonment of our conscious (and subconscious) self in general...This formed a new collection of paintings, that took me on an amazing journey, challenged me constantly, but upon completion of each one, they provided a feeling of fulfillment, almost a feeling of release and freedom, the promise of which seems to underlie all of them...

Here is the first one of the collection...

The Great Escape, acrylics on canvas, 10 x 12 in.




12 comments:

  1. Love it ! It is very thought provoking as well...and good art should make us stop and think! Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love what this represent. self imposed prisons are so hard to escape. this is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your painting, and your post brings up lots of thoughts about little prisons and traps we create for ourselves.

    What is interesting is that often you can be in one of your own prisons for a long time before you realize that you're in there. Then it takes a little longer to discover that you possess the key to letting yourself out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing concept, and beautiful work as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Incredible symbolism!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone here... great concept, symbolism, image!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wow wow, this is my favourite of all your paintings, it is simply fantastic! And I love the symbolism behind... great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love this! <3

    You're a very talented artist.

    Julie xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely adore this! I must have a print of it!!! I've been in my own personal prison for months now, so this painting really speaks to me. You are extremely talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. once again so sweet it makes me want to squeeze it! ohhhh bless. you have such an amazing talent and i love the thoughts behind your work! they really inspire me to get back into my dreams to be a novelist. hard to maintain such a lengthy task all the while having faith in your own work but seeing you express yourself so wonderfully sure makes me wana give it another shot...so thankyou :)

    ReplyDelete