Saturday 4 July 2009

Cherry Treats!

First, let me thank you so much for all your comments on the new painting...I was wondering what reactions it might cause, and I am so happy with the ones it got!! So, again, a huge thank you!

Now then. I just have to share a recipe with you. It has cherries. It is delicious. It is so seriously good that can be equally enjoyed ( I am tempted to add devoured here) on its own, as a topping on ice cream, cheesecake, waffles, crepes, and anything else you can think of. (my personal favorite is as a topping on yogurt, as shown in the photo below)

Cherry Treats

You will need:

-2 kg cherries
-1/2 teacup water
-1 1/2 kg sugar
-the juice of half a lemon

1. Wash the cherries, remove the stem and drain them. Remove the pits either by using a cherry pitter (or, if like me, you don't own one, take a paperclip and unfold it so it looks like a square "S." Push it down into the middle of the cherry until you feel it hit the pit. Hook the curve of the paper clip under the pit, then pull it up and out.)
2. Place the cherries in a saucepan and cover with sugar. Add the water and leave for at least 4-5 hours ( or even better, for 24 hours).
3. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove foam that accumulates in syrup. Leave to boil for a couple of minutes.
4. Remove saucepan from fire and separate the cherries from the syrup, return syrup to a boil, until it has the right flow ( not too thick, not too runny). Add the cherries to the saucepan once more and leave to boil for 3-4 minutes.
5. Just before removing the saucepan from the fire, add the lemon juice. Allow to cool completely and store into glass vases. It is kept best in a cool and dry place.
Enjoy!!!


xoxo


1 comment:

  1. Oh my, cherries are my absolute favorite!! I am going to have to try this right away. Thanks so much for posting!!

    ReplyDelete